Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous clinical advancements and new methods emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by fancy ads about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your physician won't inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what procedures are required to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pushing webpage "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly various outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each patient. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go in other places. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision useful source can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of millions of people around the globe.